Wednesday, October 19, 2016

2016 Update

Since it's been almost a year since my last blog post, I figured it was time for a 2016 season update.

This year was my first year competing at a high level in both skating and cycling, and it definitely wasn't easy. I had originally planned to not skate this season and only focus on cycling, but I was easily convinced otherwise and decided to keep doing a few races just for fun.

I ended up competing at trials again, with no intention of going to worlds, but again, I was easily convinced to go one more time before fully shifting my focus to cycling.
On that note, here are some race updates from this past year.

Arena Geisingen- Geisingen, Germany - April 2016

At the beginning of the season, I didn't think I'd be competing at worlds again, so I wanted to compete in at least one more high level international competition. I had been wanting to go to the race in Geisingen for a few years now, but school always got in the way, so I decided I was going to make it work this year.
This quickly became my favorite competition because of the slightly different race format. Instead of a 300m time trial, we raced a flying 200m, which I loved because we do the same event in cycling. I ended up in 14th place in this event out of 55+ senior women.
The next event was the 500m sprint, but this was also raced in a new way. Instead of qualifying the top 2 out of each he
at, the first round qualification went by the fastest times. I ended up qualifying 4th overall after skating the best 500 I've ever done. My teammate Erin Jackson and I ended up in a stacked quarter final with girls from Colombia, Equador, and two girls from Germany. We raced hard but failed to qualify for the semis.

UCI Races - Trexlertown, PA - June 2016

Back in June, I finally got to compete in my first UCI Cycling event in Ttown. Week one held the sprint tournament, and week two was the keirin. 
Week 1-
I rode a PB for the 200m qualifier to place me into the sprint tournament. I ended up racing the 5-8 final where I placed 7th.
Week 2-
My first UCI Keirin.. not going to lie, I was pretty nervous, but that's the nature of this event. I knew no matter which heat I was in, it was going to be a challenge, but I ended up racing it how I wanted to, but just fell short of making the final. Instead, I raced the 7-12 final with Monique Sullivan (Canadian Olympic rider) and a few Americans, and ended up in 8th place right behind Monique.
There was also a third week of racing, but I decided to compete in world team trials for skating, so I had to miss it.

World Team Trials - Colorado Springs, CO - June 2016


This year marked my 8th time trying out for the US World Team, but this year I went into the competition with a different mindset. Every other year I was honestly so stressed about making the team that I forgot how much fun the racing can be. Going into it this year, I was planning on declining my spot on the team if I made it, so I really had no pressure on me.
When I stepped up to the line for my 300m time trial, the only thing going through my mind was "this is either going to be the best 300 I've ever skated, or it's going to be terrible. Here we go!"
It turned out to be the best 300 I ever skated, as I beat my PB from 2015 by .8 of a second. I ended up in 3rd behind Erin Jackson and Brittany Bowe.
I also earned a silver medal in the 100m drag race, my favorite event.
Upon completion of the racing, I earned the title of second sprinter, which qualified me for my 6th World Team.


Elite Track Nationals - Trexlertown, PA - July 2016


Following skating nationals, it was time to zone back into cycling for this year's National Championships. After racing my first cycling nationals in LA last year with 9th overall being my top placement, I really wanted to podium this year. 

I definitely exceeded my expectations, earning 3 medals in 4 events. After a hard fought sprint tournament, I earned my first elite medal taking the bronze. Following the sprints, I also earned a bronze in the 500m TT, and a silver in the Team Sprint with Nissy Cobb. I also made the keirin final, but ended up in 6th.


Friday Night Lights - Trexlertown,  PA - August 2016

After nationals ended, it was finally time for a bit of downtime.. which also meant it was time for some fun Friday night racing. The first Friday night back after nationals was the keirin cup, but after that, there were no more sprint events. However, I decided I still wanted to race even though it was 3 weeks of endurance events (and one 500m chariot).















It went way better than I thought it would, and I actually even ended up placing 3rd overall in the Omnium one night.

World Championships - Nanjing, China - September 2016


This year's World Championships didn't end up going as well as I would have hoped, but it happens. I competed in the 300m time trial and the 100m drag race, where I placed 18th and 14th. 
I was definitely not happy with my 300, but the 100m wasn't all that bad. 



I also raced the marathon.. well, 10k of it anyway. But this year I actually got into the pack and held my ground, which I was always too scared to do in previous years. I also won the start, so my last race at a World Championship ended up being a good one. 

Milton International Challenge - Milton, Ontario, Canada - September 2016

To wrap up the 2016 season, a few of my Sprinter's Edge teammates and I headed up to Canada for one more UCI event. This event was a bit harder for me, as I hadn't been on the bike in 3-4 weeks because I was in China for skating.

However, I got right back into the swing of things and got better every race. I made the 5-8 final for the sprints, where I ended up in 7th. I also took 6th in the 500m TT, and also placed 6th in the keirin final.




It's been a great year, but now it's back to work to prepare for 2017!! Can't wait to see what's in store!








No comments:

Post a Comment